Workplace Technology Assessment
Is your workplace technology holding you back? Take our 5 minute assessment for your free customized report.Take Quiz
By Dave Clifton
Nothing can disrupt the workplace quite like the chaos of an office move. One of the chief benefits of move management software is that it congeals the process of relocation, to keep everyone on-track and organized. But this is far from the only benefit of using software to govern your move. There’s value in using software to plan, execute, and assess your move, as well as delegate and communicate during it.
If your company is planning an office move—whether to a new space or within the context of your current facilities—it’s best-backed by move management software. Here’s a look at why it’s vital to have a digital roadmap for your office move.
What is move management software?
Move management software works to support corporate moves from one workplace to another—or even transitions between desking concepts in a workplace. It’s often a combination of project management, communication, task delegation, and accountability tools, all rolled into a platform specifically designed to oversee corporate relocation.
Move management software contains a variety of features to make planning, visualizing, and executing moves as simple as possible. This can include floor plans and maps, checklists, cloud document, and chat functions. The goal is to provide move managers with everything they need to facilitate a move with as few unexpected obstacles and problems as possible.
What are the benefits of move management software?
Even in the early stages of planning a move, the benefits of implementing move management software are clearly evident. Here’s a look at what businesses can look forward to if they plan their corporate relocation on the back of sophisticated move management software:
- Unified focus. Rather than multiple documents and shared files to govern the phases of a move, it’s all centralized in move management software. Everyone involved in orchestrating the move uses the same single source of collaborative information. Centralized move data becomes vital to enabling a unified focus on key objectives.
- Timeline-specific planning. Move management software puts the many moving parts of an office relocation on a timeline. Not only does this keep moves succinct, it allows for better planning. Looking ahead at upcoming next steps and seeing the move in phases helps facilitate a more seamless relocation effort.
- Checklists and prerequisites. Few things are as simple and effective as a checklist for staying on-task. In the lead up to a move and during each phase, checklists should govern each step of the project. Building checklists into move management software keeps collaborators on-track and allows everyone to see what’s already accomplished, what’s next, and who’s responsible.
- Contextualized moves. Thanks to floor plans and diagrams, office relocations have context through software. Checklist items match up to diagrams to provide better instruction to those responsible for each task. “Set up your new desk at workspace 34C” makes much more sense when the employee can open a map and quickly locate workspace 34C, with navigation instruction for how to get there.
- Streamlined communication. In-app chat or channel-based chat through an integrated app like Slack brings a world of transparency to office moves. It’s the best way to field questions, resolve problems, make adjustments on-the-fly, and keep tabs on the move. Best of all, this communication happens within the context of everything else—checklists, floor plans, other chats, and tasks.
- Digital integrations. Beyond chat apps, integrations with other vital software make moves smoother. Sync up the company directory so everyone knows where they sit in the new floor plan. Tie in facility support ticketing, so maintenance teams can tie up loose ends quickly. Integrate new IoT sensors to register real-time activity in both old and new facilities. Integrations are the key to completing a move efficiently.
- Accountability. At the end of the day, accountability can make or break an office relocation. If someone doesn’t accomplish their tasks, it can hinder others with peripheral responsibilities. Move management software brings transparency to every move and creates accountability, so everyone holds true to their duties and the move progresses swiftly.
Each of these benefits adds up to one ultimate goal: a smooth, hassle-free move that’s free of setbacks, errors, and obstacles. The simpler the transition from old to new, the less impact there is to operations.
Minimize the efficiency of office moves
While there’s no getting around some of the disruptions office moves can cause, there’s a lot companies can do to alleviate them. Move management software can remove barriers, minimize mistakes, and expedite the relocation process saving time, money, frustration, and uncertainty.
An efficient office move is one that’s fully accounted for. There’s no matching the accountability that comes from orchestrating a move using workplace move management software. From early-stage planning, to mid-move communication, to finalizations after it’s complete, move management software is all-encompassing and helps make the process smooth and effortless.
Keep reading: Move Management Checklist